Introduction to Creative Writing
Why I write
Now it’s your turn.
Keeping your focus on your own purpose can support you through those days of re-writes and edits, or when you just don’t feel motivated. Reflect on why you write and you will rekindle your passion, question your purpose and hopefully find an answer that satisfies.
Have you ever asked yourself this before? Write a brief paragraph, up to 300 words, explaining why you write. Not what you want to write about, but what leads you to write in the first place.
- How you feel when you are writing?
- Do you feel different when you have written as opposed to when you’re in the middle of doing it?
- Do you do it to share your hopes/dreams?
- Do you do it to share your thoughts?
- What is your main drive for writing? Self-reflection, instruction, enlightenment, motivation, fame and fortune?
- What are your goals? (e.g. Do you write for change, to have an impact, to give the gift of laughter, to trigger emotions)
- Why is finishing your writing important to you?
Print this out and put it on the wall near your writing space and re-read whenever you need to.
Want to write but don’t know how to be a writer?
Adopting the ‘writer’ label is daunting if you haven’t tried your hand at creative writing before.
A healthy writing practice starts with good writing habits, a systematic approach to cultivating ideas, and a strong grasp of the fundamentals of storytelling. This four-part introductory course is packed with information, practical exercises, and inspiration that will give you the confidence to call yourself a writer. This course is also great for writers looking to refresh their skills.
In this course, you will learn:
- How to establish a writing habit you can stick to
- How to generate ideas and find inspiration for your next project
- What stories look like under the hood, and how narratives work
- Which different creative forms and media are available to you, and how they function
- How to take a professional approach to your writing, no matter where you are in your development.
Introduction to Creative Writing is entirely self-guided, so you can progress at your own pace. Once you’ve purchased the course, the content will remain open to you permanently, meaning you can come back any time for a refresher. Course content is delivered in a series of audios, written lessons, and exercises.
How to access this course
This course is available forever from the moment your purchase is confirmed. Just go to the curriculum tab, click the first lesson, and start learning! You must be logged in to access your purchased content.
- Lectures 25
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 8 hours
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Students 95
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
Interesting, light intro for this newbie
This course got me writing again - which is invaluable. It is not overly comprehensive but a great opener - the modules are brief and readable (ideal for someone with limited spare time). Would have liked assessments, however, as the overview suggested. Instead, there were activities with no option to have them reviewed. Still, at that price, I have no complaints. Will look into the narrative lectures next.